Do you know what is happening in your production systems right now? If you have a comprehensive metrics platform then the answer is yes. If your answer is no, then this episode is for you. Jason Dixon and Dan Cech, core maintainers of the Graphite project, talk about how graphite is architected to capture your time series data and give you the ability to use it for answering questions. They cover the challenges that have been faced in evolving the project, the strengths that have let it stand the tests of time, and the features that will be coming in future releases.
- Hello and welcome to Podcast.__init__, the podcast about Python and the people who make it great.
- I would like to thank everyone who supports us on Patreon. Your contributions help to make the show sustainable.
- When you’re ready to launch your next project you’ll need somewhere to deploy it. Check out Linode at podastinit.com/linode and get a $20 credit to try out their fast and reliable Linux virtual servers for running your awesome app. And now you can deliver your work to your users even faster with the newly upgraded 200 GBit network in all of their datacenters.
- If you’re tired of cobbling together your deployment pipeline then it’s time to try out GoCD, the open source continuous delivery platform built by the people at ThoughtWorks who wrote the book about it. With GoCD you get complete visibility into the life-cycle of your software from one location. To download it now go to podcatinit.com/gocd. Professional support and enterprise plugins are available for added piece of mind.
- Visit the site to subscribe to the show, sign up for the newsletter, and read the show notes. And if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions I would love to hear them. You can reach me on Twitter at @Podcast__init__ or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- To help other people find the show please leave a review on iTunes, or Google Play Music, tell your friends and co-workers, and share it on social media.
- Now is a good time to start planning your conference schedule for 2018. To help you out with that, guest Jason Dixon is offering a $100 discount for Monitorama in Portland, OR on June 4th – 6th and guest Dan Cech is offering a €50 discount to Grafanacon in Amsterdam, Netherlands March 1st and 2nd. There is also still time to get your tickets to PyCascades in Vancouver, BC Canada January 22nd and 23rd. All of the details are in the show notes
- Your host as usual is Tobias Macey and today I’m interviewing Jason Dixon and Dan Cech about Graphite
- How did you get introduced to Python?
- What is Graphite and how did you each get involved in the project?
- Why should developers be thinking about collecting and reporting on metrics from their software and systems?
- How do you think the Graphite project has contributed to or influenced the overall state of the art in systems monitoring?
- There are a number of different projects that comprise a fully working Graphite deployment. Can you list each of them and describe how they fit together?
- What are some of the early design choices that have proven to be problematic while trying to evolve the project?
- What are some of the challenges that you have been faced with while maintaining and improving the various Graphite projects?
- What will be involved in porting Graphite to run on Python 3?
- If you were to start the project over would you still use Python?
- What are the options for scaling Graphite and making it highly available?
- Given the level of importance to a companies visibility into their systems, what development practices do you use to ensure that Graphite can operate reliably and fail gracefully?
- What are some of the biggest competitors to Graphite?
- When is Graphite not the right choice for tracking your system metrics?
- What are some of the most interesting or unusual uses of Graphite that you are aware of?
- What are some of the new features and enhancements that are planned for the future of Graphite?
Keep In Touch
- Grafana Labs
- O’Reilly Graphite Book
- Time Series
- Adrian Cockcroft
- ASAP Smoothing