Software development is a skill that can create value and reduce drudgery in a wide variety of contexts. Sometimes the causes that are most in need of software expertise are also the least able to pay for it. By volunteering our time and abilities to causes that we believe in, we can help make a tangible difference in the world. In this episode Eric Schles describes his experiences working on social justice initiatives and the types of work that proved to be the most helpful to the groups that he was working with.
Do you want to try out some of the tools and applications that you heard about on Podcast.__init__? Do you have a side project that you want to share with the world? With Linode’s managed Kubernetes platform it’s now even easier to get started with the latest in cloud technologies. With the combined power of the leading container orchestrator and the speed and reliability of Linode’s object storage, node balancers, block storage, and dedicated CPU or GPU instances, you’ve got everything you need to scale up. Go to pythonpodcast.com/linode today and get a $60 credit to launch a new cluster, run a server, upload some data, or… And don’t forget to thank them for being a long time supporter of Podcast.__init__!
With GoCD’s comprehensive pipeline modeling, you can model complex workflows for multiple teams with ease. And GoCD’s Value Stream Map lets you track a change from commit to deploy at a glance.
GoCD’s real power is in the visibility it provides over your end-to-end workflow. So you get complete control of and visibility into your deployments, across multiple teams.
Say goodbye to deployment panic and hello to consistent, predictable deliveries.
To learn more about GoCD, visit gocd.org for a free download. Professional Support and enterprise add-ons, including disaster recovery, are available.
- Hello and welcome to Podcast.__init__, the podcast about Python and the people who make it great.
- When you’re ready to launch your next app you’ll need somewhere to deploy it, so check out Linode. With private networking, shared block storage, node balancers, and a 40Gbit network, all controlled by a brand new API you’ve got everything you need to scale up. Go to podcastinit.com/linode to get a $20 credit and launch a new server in under a minute.
- To get worry-free releases download GoCD, the open source continous delivery server built by Thoughworks. You can use their pipeline modeling and value stream map to build, control and monitor every step from commit to deployment in one place. And with their new Kubernetes integration it’s even easier to deploy and scale your build agents. Go to podcastinit.com/gocd to learn more about their professional support services and enterprise add-ons.
- Visit the site to subscribe to the show, sign up for the newsletter, and read the show notes. And if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions I would love to hear them. You can reach me on Twitter at @Podcast__init__ or email email@example.com)
- To help other people find the show please leave a review on iTunes, or Google Play Music, tell your friends and co-workers, and share it on social media.
- Your host as usual is Tobias Macey and today I’m interviewing Eric Schles about how to get involved with social justice causes as an engineer
- How did you get introduced to Python?
- What are some ways that engineers can create real-world impact with their skills?
- What are some of the common roadblocks to contribution that people should be aware of?
- What are some of the types of projects or tools that can provide the most value compared to the amount of effort?
- Do you have any advice for picking an organization or cause that will benefit the most from technical expertise?
- Many of the tools and systems that get built for public or non-profit organizations require some amount of data for them to be useful. Do you have any advice on methods for identifying, locating, or collecting the necessary information for feeding into these projects?
- What are some of the design factors that should be considered when building tools for these organizations to allow them to be maintainable and sustainable in the absense of an experienced engineer?
Keep In Touch
- Machine Learning
- Version Control
- OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
- Eric Schles Interview On Podcast.__init__
- ETL (Extract Transform Load)
- Automate The Boring Stuff
- Web Scraping
- Thomas Levine