More of us are working remotely than ever before, many with no prior experience with a remote work environment. In this episode Quinn Slack discusses his thoughts and experience of running Sourcegraph as a fully distributed company. He covers the lessons that he has learned in moving from partially to fully remote, the practices that have worked well in managing a distributed workforce, and the challenges that he has faced in the process. If you are struggling with your remote work situation then this conversation has some useful tips and references for further reading to help you be successful in the current environment.
Tidy Data is a monitoring platform to help you monitor your data pipeline. Custom in-house solutions are costly, laborious, and fragile. Replacing them with Tidy Data’s consistent managed data ops platform will solve these issues. Monitor your data pipeline like you monitor your website. It’s like pingdom for data. No credit card required to sign up. Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/tidydata today and get started with their free tier.
Do you want to try out some of the tools and applications that you heard about on Podcast.__init__? Do you have a side project that you want to share with the world? With Linode’s managed Kubernetes platform it’s now even easier to get started with the latest in cloud technologies. With the combined power of the leading container orchestrator and the speed and reliability of Linode’s object storage, node balancers, block storage, and dedicated CPU or GPU instances, you’ve got everything you need to scale up. Go to pythonpodcast.com/linode today and get a $100 credit to launch a new cluster, run a server, upload some data, or… And don’t forget to thank them for being a long time supporter of Podcast.__init__!
- Hello and welcome to Podcast.__init__, the podcast about Python and the people who make it great.
- When you’re ready to launch your next app or want to try a project you hear about on the show, you’ll need somewhere to deploy it, so take a look at our friends over at Linode. With 200 Gbit/s private networking, node balancers, a 40 Gbit/s public network, fast object storage, and a brand new managed Kubernetes platform, all controlled by a convenient API you’ve got everything you need to scale up. And for your tasks that need fast computation, such as training machine learning models, they’ve got dedicated CPU and GPU instances. Go to pythonpodcast.com/linode to get a $20 credit and launch a new server in under a minute. And don’t forget to thank them for their continued support of this show!
- You monitor your website to make sure that you’re the first to know when something goes wrong, but what about your data? Tidy Data is the DataOps monitoring platform that you’ve been missing. With real time alerts for problems in your databases, ETL pipelines, or data warehouse, and integrations with Slack, Pagerduty, and custom webhooks you can fix the errors before they become a problem. Go to pythonpodcast.com/tidydata today and get started for free with no credit card required.
- Your host as usual is Tobias Macey and today I’m interviewing Quinn Slack about his experience managing a fully remote company and useful tips for remote work
- How did you get introduced to Python?
- Can you start by giving an overview of the team structure at Sourcegraph?
- You recently moved to being fully remote. What was the motivating factor and how has it changed your personal workflow?
- What is your prior history with working remote?
- team practices for visibility of progress
- impact of remote teams on how code is written and organized
- reducing review burden by writing clearer code
- structuring meetings when remote
- points of friction for remote developer teams
- benefits of being fully remote
- incentivizing documentation
- compensation structure
Keep In Touch
- Thank you for listening! Don’t forget to check out our other show, the Data Engineering Podcast for the latest on modern data management.
- Visit the site to subscribe to the show, sign up for the mailing list, and read the show notes.
- If you’ve learned something or tried out a project from the show then tell us about it! Email email@example.com) with your story.
- To help other people find the show please leave a review on iTunes and tell your friends and co-workers
- Join the community in the new Zulip chat workspace at pythonpodcast.com/chat
- Quinn’s Python Search Engine
- Sourcegraph Employee Handbook
- Gitlab Handbook
- Zapier Guide To Remote Work
- Automattic Blog On Distributed Work
- Comments Showing Intent