Computer vision is a complex field that spans industries with varying needs and implementations. Scikit-Image is a library that provides tools and techniques for people working in the sciences to process the visual data that is critical to their research. This week Stefan Van der Walt and Juan Nunez-Iglesias, co-authors of Elegant SciPy, talk about how the project got started, how it works, and how they are using it to power their experiments.
- Hello and welcome to Podcast.__init__, the podcast about Python and the people who make it great.
- I would like to thank everyone who supports us on Patreon. Your contributions help to make the show sustainable.
- When you’re ready to launch your next project you’ll need somewhere to deploy it. Check out Linode at www.podastinit.com/linode and get a $20 credit to try out their fast and reliable Linux virtual servers for running your awesome app.
- Visit the site to subscribe to the show, sign up for the newsletter, read the show notes, and get in touch.
- To help other people find the show please leave a review on iTunes, or Google Play Music, tell your friends and co-workers, and share it on social media.
- Your host as usual is Tobias Macey and today I am interviewing Stefan van der Walt and Juan Nunez-Iglesias, co-authors of Elegant SciPy, about scikit-image
- How did you get introduced to Python?
- What is scikit-image and how did the project get started?
- How does its focus differ from projects like SimpleCV/OpenCV or Pillow?
- What are some of the common use cases for which the scikit-image package is typically employed?
- What are some of the ways in which images can exhibit higher dimensionality and what are some of the kinds of operations that scikit-image can perform in those situations?
- How is scikit designed and what are some of the biggest challenges associated with its development, whether in the past, present, or future?
- What are some of the most interesting use cases for scikit-image that you have seen?
- What do you have planned for the future of scikit-image?
- Sphinx Gallery
- SciPy Conference
- Minimum Cost Paths
- Image Stitching Tutorial
- Elegant SciPy