For show notes and other content, visit our site at http://www.podcastinit.com
- Date of recording – Apr 28th 2015
- Hosts – Tobias Macey and Chris Patti
- Overview – Interview with Travis Oliphant
Interview with Travis Oliphant
- How did you get introduced to Python?
- I’m curious what inspired you to create NumPy and SciPy?
- Why did you choose Python for those libraries?
- Numeric, Jim Hugunin
- Morphology library in NumArray
- For those of us who aren’t in the know, can you provide a brief definition of what data science is and how you got involved in it?
- Term coined by DJ Patil
- Answer: Anybody who takes data and tries to derive insights from it
- Nobody really knows what this means 🙂
- Can you tell us the story of how Continuum Analytics came to be?
- What are some interesting projects that you have worked on with Continuum Analytics?
- Can you explain a bit about what NumFocus is and how it got started?
- How can our audience get involved with NumFocus?
- For someone just starting out in the data science and data analytics space, what advice would you give?
- Download Anaconda, learn as much Python as you can
- Google search “Data Analysis in Python”
- iPython Notebooks in data analysis
- R community
- Online classes
- R Community can be helpful
- Of your myriad achievements, what are you most proud of?
- Travis Oliphant
- Travis Contacts